Dragon Fascination



When I was twelve I read my first dragon novel. The book was The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey. In that novel Jaxom is a young landholder on the planet of Pern. His parents were killed before he reached his majority and though Jaxom is now almost an adult he still answers to far too many people and often feels powerless. When he accidentally impresses (bonds with) a young dragon, all hell breaks loose. Landholders don't become dragon riders! But impression on Pern is a one way thing. Once a dragon and his rider bond, there's no getting between them. Jaxom and his dragon Ruth go on to have many adventures and save the world. What fun. After reading that first one by McCaffrey I glommed them all and I read them cover to cover, back to back. Though I got much enjoyment from them, none quite lived up to Jaxom and Ruth. Until now.

The other night I read until 3 in the morning. The book? His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. Ms. Novik has taken Ms. McCaffreys fantasy idea and placed it in the middle of the Napoleonic wars. What a fabulous read. Captain Will Laurence is an up-and-coming naval officer in the British Navy. When his ship captures a French one he's surprised and how hard his opponents fight him. The discovery of a dragon egg makes everything clear. Dragons are powerful allies in the war and the British dragon corps is desperately outnumbered by the French. Will attempts to get the egg to London before it hatches but it's too late. And much against his inclination Will is bonded with the dragon. Being a dragonrider means leaving his beloved navy and entering a strata of fighting men who are admired and scorned with equal measure by British society. When the dragon asks for a name, Will chooses Temeraire. And a partnership is formed.

I loved that this was a grown up version of the story. Will and Temeraire's relationship is equal parts fascinating and charming. Temeraire is the rarest of the rare in dragon kind and his intelligence more then equals Will's. As they bond and train together it's clear they will be a team for life. What made this such a great read was the placement of the dragons into this historical context. Ms. Novik has an incredible imagination but has also done the research. Dragons battling over the English channel? Really? Yes.

Equally wonderful is the fact that these novels were previously pubbed in England (take a look at the British cover) so they are going to be published in quick succession here in the states. One in April, May and June. Can't wait.

3 comments:

As a big fan of the pern novels i think you have sold me on this new book about dragons. sounds like a bit of alternate hisstory as well which i typically enjoy.

Salam

8:37 AM  

So how DO you do this?

I loved Pern books maybe 20+ years ago. NOT "in to" reading about dragons but darn, you are one fine book peddlar. I will check this one out. And lovely that they are being published here in rapid succession!

Uh, tip for you from my kid: if you haven't already, read the vampire-romance, "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. Vol. 2 just released and perhaps soon to be a manga? Anyhow, C. says you (Ms. Poptart) will LOVE it... she speaks with authority because you have suggested many titles that she has loved.

Bye. MISS YOU STILL. WHEN WON'T I??

Love, B.

6:31 PM  

Edward and Laundress
I think you'd both like these if you enjoyed the Pern books. Felt very like them.

And Laundress I brought Twilight home a couple of weeks ago. Tell C. I'm moving it up the reading list. I'll let her know what I think.

5:36 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home